Steve Cross Photography
Copyright © All rights reserved. Steve Cross Photography 2011
Home.Contact.Galleries Index.Monochrome.Colour.SuzCards.Digi2Art.
Kilchurn Castle Loch Awe

SCP Landscape Photographer West Coast of Scotland, UK".Fine Art Prints

Steve Cross Photography
 & Beyond

Ardverikie House better known as GlenBogle House

Glen Dochart Falls Killin

Standing Stones Calanais Isle of Lewis

More to come later this year

The Isles of Uist North South and Benbecula

See you soon

The Butt of Lewis LightHouse

 David Stevenson built the lighthouse in 1862,who was at the time Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, Little is known of the Station's early days, though the first light was probably a fixed rather than flashing,  A plaque in the Lightroom indicates that the present equipment was installed in 1905, when the characteristics of the light was one flash every twenty seconds. In 1869, paraffin is known to have replaced the vegetable or fish oil hitherto used as the light source, and indeed continued in use until 1976, when it was replaced by electricity.  The lens revolves around the light, thus giving the familiar flashing effect.

The station became the radio link for the keepers on the isolated Flannan Islands in the early 1930's, and continued to function as such until 1971, when the Flannans was demanned, and the light made automatic. Today, the Butt of Lewis acts as the monitoring station for the automatic light on the Flannans, North Rona and Sula Sgeir and is the radio control station for the North Minch area.

The Butt of Lewis was manned by three Keepers who lived at the Station with their families. The Station's claim to fame, according to the "Guinness Book of Records" some years ago is that it was the windiest spot in the United Kingdom.  (I can vouch for that a force 8 was blowing at the time of taking this image)  

The fog signal at the Butt of Lewis Lighthouse was discontinued in 31 March 1995.

The Butt of Lewis Lighthouse was automated on 30 March 1998 and is now remotely monitored from the Board’s headquarters in Edinburgh.

The Butt of Lewis is also one the General Lighthouse Authorities transmitting stations for Differential GPS.

 

Thanks for looking, see you next time!

 

 

 

 

And Beyond
Butt of Lewis Lighthouse